Saturday, April 30, 2011

Never Ending Friendships

When you compete in a pageant, probably one of the last things you are thinking about is making life long friendships. Stereotypically, people would assume that pageant girls are another type of "mean girls". Everyone is cut-throat, trying to outdo one another. On the contrary, these girls are genuine and supportive to each other. Some of my best friends are "pageant sisters". Even though we are competing for the same goal, there are many qualities that makes us all compatible. Think about it: we all care about the community, we all are passionate about our platforms, we all go through the same struggles of dieting, and we all share similar interests that bonds us together.

A few weeks ago, I attended one of my good friend's wedding. Keelie Sheridan was my roommate at Miss New York 2009 (she was Miss Brooklyn; I was Miss Staten Island). We shared the stage again the following year. From getting to know Keelie over the past two years, I can tell you she is one amazing person. She is one of the most compassionate people I have had the pleasure of knowing. The work she has done as a titleholder is outstanding. Our friendship began thanks to the Miss America Organization. It was a joy to be a part of her big day. I could not stop smiling during the wedding ceremony. I am so happy for her; I was proud to witness my friend marry the love of her life (and a great guy I may add). I am blessed to have her as one of my friends! Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. Kurtz!

I am honored to call these "pageant girls" my friends. So don't believe everything you hear about pageant girls. You could be standing on stage right next to your bridesmaids.