Sunday, June 5, 2011

Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Telethon


Early Sunday morning, Amanda Alicea (Miss Richmond County 2011) and I carpooled to Albany to attend the 26th annual Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Telethon. This marks my third year volunteering for the telethon. We met up with Kaitlin Monte (Miss Southern New York) who also drove up from the city to the WXXA Fox 23 studio. The three of us had a great time bonding as we worked diligently answering the phones to a number of donors. Madison Manuel (Miss Upstate New York Outstanding Teen 2011) joined us on the phones later on that day. I even got the opportunity to sit next to one of Albany's Senators. Senator Neil Breslin was a great guy who was very impressed that I knew all of my Senators and Assemblymen! Corporate sponsors were present to hand deliver their generous donations. Miracle kids gathered in the studio to share their inspiring stories to the millions of viewers watching the telethon. The impact of this event reminds me of my job as a titleholder; it reiterates why I am so passionated about this cause. Special thank you to Art Hunsinger who has invited the Miss New York contestants to participate in the telethon for the past three years.

Miss Richmond County Amanda Alicea and Miss Southern New York Kaitlin MonteChatting with Albany Senator Neil Breslin
Working the phones during the telethon Art Hunsinger, WXXA Fox 23 Manager
Madison Manuel, Miss Upstate New York Outstanding Teen 2011